Jim has extensive experience representing varied interests in the energy and environmental fields in all phases of contractual negotiations, project development, environmental permitting, and regulatory matters. Experience includes serving as lead attorney on multiple renewable energy projects throughout the United States and collaboratively building public and private consensus in diverse settings including across all branches of government.
- New York State Courts
- District of Columbia
- Vermont State Courts
- Successfully obtained certificates of public convenience and necessity (CPCN) for the first competitive transmission project in New York. In addition, successfully rebutted the New York Vertical Market Policy – first competitive entity to do so – preventing the forced divestiture of either transmission or generation assets.
- Obtained electric transmission franchises in several states to construct and operate multiple 345 kV gen-tie lines.
- Acted as lead attorney for the development of renewable generation resources before various state regulatory commissions, including with respect to permitting and siting. Jim has successfully obtained siting approval for renewable generation projects in New York, Wisconsin, Iowa, Vermont, Massachusetts and Maryland totaling over 2,000 MW.
- Represented several clients, both developers and customers, in negotiations to obtain property rights, sell or purchase electricity and thermal energy, secure interconnection rights, sell/purchase renewable energy credits, and purchase standby power as part of construction and operation of renewable generation and combined heat and power facilities, including successful pursuit of regulatory orders on contested issues.
- Provides regulatory support for (i) competitive transmission, generation and distributed generation solicitations; (ii) the sale and/or merger of generation and transmission assets; and (iii) tax equity and other financing.
- Drafting and execution of public and private easements.
- Has represented client on a myriad of issues including: rate and tariff analysis, cost of service and revenue allocation issues, decoupling, rate design, smart grid, return of equity, capacity planning, and development of demand-side management, energy efficiency and economic development programs.
- Participated in the development of energy supply and demand response markets in New York and New England.
- New York State Bar Association