Peter has specialized in Energy and Construction Law for more than 45 years. He has an extensive background in unregulated and regulated electricity and gas together with renewable energy. He has helped clients successfully develop energy projects and assists clients to prepare and negotiate power purchase and energy performance agreements and provides advice on relevant laws, regulations and relevant custom and practices.
He regularly advises clients on renewable energy, distributed generation, microgrids, residential electric submetering, landfill gas or animal waste bio-methane, energy conservation projects, demand side management and energy-related financings. He has appeared before regulatory agencies and has experience with a wide range of issues related to electricity, natural gas and steam and representing clients as to utility rate regulation. On the construction side, his practice experience covers energy related construction together with retail store interior construction.
Peter speaks and writes regularly on energy-related issues at national and New York State conferences and other events.
- New York State Courts
- United States District Court of the Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Tax Court
- Representing clients in power purchase contract drafting and negotiations involving electricity and natural gas procurement, interconnection of energy infrastructure, operating and maintenance and remote monitoring issues.
- Advising clients regarding the development, procurement, sale and siting of renewable energy generation, including CHP, on-site generation and energy conservation projects and accessing incentives relating to these projects including and providing advice on renewable energy credits and other green attributes.
- Representing clients such as dairy farms as to dairy waste to renewable natural gas projects and accessing state incentive programs.
- Representing clients in regulatory proceedings, including utility rate cases or energy service company cases and handling customer complaints; such experience also includes negotiating with utilities and ESCOs to achieve relief for clients.
- Representing hospitals, city housing authorities, municipalities and school districts regarding energy projects and energy procurement.
- Representing energy services companies and gas & electric utilities, including serving in the role of outside general counsel which, as to utilities, included providing advice regarding powerplants, transmission and distribution and many other matters.
- Assisting developers of multi-unit residential properties obtain approval to submeter residential electricity usage.
- Provided advice on and prepared standard form agreements relating to interior construction.
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association, Energy Law Committee