- Vassar College, B.A., 1996
- Yale University, Ph.D., 2004
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D., 2007, cum laude
- Managing Editor of Production and Online Services, Albany Law Journal of Science & Technology
Jay assists clients before the New York State Public Service Commission, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority and the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection in matters involving utilities and electric system operators. This work includes administrative proceedings regarding the development of wholesale electricity market rules and energy rates and regulatory policies, and advising on energy policies intended to promote renewable energy, electric storage, distributed energy resources, and electric vehicles.
Prior to joining Couch White, Jay worked for the New York State Department of Public Service as an Assistant Counsel. Jay subsequently served as the Manager of Regulatory Affairs for the New York Power Authority.
- New York State Courts
- Connecticut State Courts
- Representing municipal and large commercial, industrial, and institutional energy consumers in administrative proceedings involving energy rates and regulatory policies.
- Assisting municipal client in the development and implementation of its energy-related public policies.
- Assisting state entity in the review of New York Building Codes.
- Representing municipal and large commercial, industrial, and institutional energy consumers in the development and modification of wholesale electricity market rules and tariffs.
- Represented the New York State Public Service Commission in interstate gas pipeline rate cases.
- Represented the New York State Department of Public Service in electric and gas utility rate cases and wholesale market issues.
- Led DPS Staff teams in cases relating to interstate natural gas pipeline rates, lightened ratemaking regulation, asset transfers, and the certifications necessary to construct, own, and operate electric and gas assets.
- Managed NYPA’s participation in utility rate cases and generic energy policy proceedings.
- Advocating for the recognition and proper valuation of the positive environmental and reliable attributes of hydropower generation.
- Advised NYPA teams on interconnection and other issues related to their work supporting clean energy project development by NYPA customers.
- Albany County Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association